Saturday, December 20, 2008

Gross Bugs

A quick catch-up

Totally got a Chilean speeding ticket and almost had the car taken away because we could not find the damn registration but then the guys were really nice and checked over the radio that the car wasnt stolen and then told us we had to find those papers before we would be allowed into Argentina with the car. I thought we had left them in the Hotel in Santiago until I found them today in the glove box.

The little guy in the bathtub totally means hot springs - which I guessed but wasnt sure because there are a shit ton of doodes in bathtubs. Now I have moved onto one in which it looks like a man in a rangers hat is jumping out of a snowman as if he was a stripper and the snowman was a giant birthday cake. How is it that even pictures need interpretation?

We were in a freakin hurricane today and it suddenly blew this giant-normous sign halfway off. The messed up thing was I was parked right underneath it and everyone in the building was yelling ´el auto´ and then rooting for me not to die as I stood beneath the hanging sign and tried to unlock the car door and as soon as I had backed the car up the sign crashed down right where the car had been. Some kids got the whole thing on their cell phone videos and when I got out of the car I looked at them and started laughing and then they started laughing and then it only lasted a second because there was still some crazy hurricane going on.

As bus stops were tipping over and roofs were flying off of houses and live power lines were whipping about the roads, some guy in the building told me not to worry - esta temporal (its temporary) he told me like this just happened all the time, no big deal. He was cool as a cucumber as the corregated tin ceiling was being ripped off the roof above our heads. Sure, whatever, no big deal. If you can manage to not be decapitated by someones roof or electrocuted by downed wires its totally temporal. Shit.

Last night we stayed at a place more traditional to my style of travel and as I walked in the room (it was after dark) mom had her duffel bad wide open on the floor next to the bed. I told her she might not want to leave her bags unzipped hoping shed just listen and not ask. But she did. And I said: cockroaches and she said: aw, shit. Because she really didnt want to know. And it was really a good thing that she zipped her stuff up. Really.

Tomorrow to Argentina!

No comments: